1989 Proof Half Gold Sovereign
Special edition - Struck for the 500th Anniversary for the first hammered sovereign
- Weight - 3.99 grams
- Alloy - 22 carat gold
- Obverse - Bernard Sindall - Her majesty, seated in King Edward's Coronation Chair
- Reverse - Bernard Sindall - Shield of the Royal Arms upon a double Tudor Rose
- Strike Quality - Proof
- Coin housed in its original Royal Mint storage box
- Accompanied with its original Royal Mint Certificate of Authenticity
- Only 10,000 half sovereigns were minted in this year, all of them in proof
In 1989 to commemorate the 500th Anniversary of the First Gold hammered Sovereign, the Royal Mint released a very special Limited Issue solid 22 Carat Gold Proof Full Sovereign Coin and features a new obverse and reverse design.
The 1989 Gold Proof Full Sovereign Coin, designed by Bernard Sindali, are modern adaptions of the original sovereign design of 1489. The reverse is a Shield of the Royal Arms ensigned by an open Royal Crown, the whole superimposed upon a double rose and the circumscription 'ANNIVERSARY OF THE GOLD SOVEREIGN 1489-1989.'
The obverse shows Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II seated as at her Coronation, within the circumscription ELIZABETH II DEI GRA REG FID DEF, which may be translated as Elizabeth II - by grace of god, Queen, defender of the faith.
No reviews have been left for this product, be the
first to leave a review