1989 Proof Full Gold Sovereign
Special edition - Struck for the 500th Anniversary for the first hammered sovereign
- Weight - 7.98 grams
- Alloy - 22 carat gold
- Obverse - Bernard Sindall - Her majesty, seated in King Edward's Coronation Chair
- Reverse - Bernard Sindall - Shield of the Royal Arms upon a double Tudor Rose
- Strike Quality - Proof
- Coin housed in its original Royal Mint storage box
- Accompanied with its original Royal Mint Certificate of Authenticity
- Only 10,535 sovereigns were minted in this year, all of them in proof
In 1989 to commemorate the 500th Anniversary of the First Gold hammered Sovereign, the Royal Mint released a very special Limited Issue solid 22 Carat Gold Proof Full Sovereign Coin and features a new obverse and reverse design.
The 1989 Gold Proof Full Sovereign Coin, designed by Bernard Sindali, are modern adaptions of the original sovereign design of 1489. The reverse is a Shield of the Royal Arms ensigned by an open Royal Crown, the whole superimposed upon a double rose and the circumscription 'ANNIVERSARY OF THE GOLD SOVEREIGN 1489-1989.'
The obverse shows Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II seated as at her Coronation, within the circumscription ELIZABETH II DEI GRA REG FID DEF, which may be translated as Elizabeth II - by grace of god, Queen, defender of the faith.